Disruption in power supply led to a chaotic situation in petrol pumps in Dhaka on Tuesday.
According to petrol pump operators, soon after the national grid failed at 2.05 pm, many residents rushed to the petrol pumps to collect diesel to operate their generators.
He also said that only 25 percent of about 40 pumps in Dhaka city sell diesel while the remaining 75 percent don’t as they sell only octane and petrol.
“It’s a chaos everywhere”, he said.
He also said that many pumps could not collect adequate quantity of diesel from depots as some of their employees are on leave for Durga Puja.
As a result, those pumps which sell diesel also failed to cope with the extra pressure, Nazmul said.
Meanwhile, residents at Gulshan, Banani and Niketon areas alleged that they went to many re-fueling stations to collect diesel, but had to come back empty as the pump owners said they have no diesel in their stock.