There will be no bar for people above 65 years to perform Hajj and the largest annual gathering of Muslims will be held in full range, said State Minister for Religious Affairs Md Faridul Haque Khan.
"As per the discussion we have with Saudi Arabia, the Hajj may return to its full range from the next year and the age limit of 65 is likely to be withdrawn," the state minister said after meeting the newly elected leaders of Religious Reporters' Forum (RRF) at his secretariat office in the capital on Tuesday.
When asked how the next Hajj will be, Khan said, "According to the unofficial talks we have had with the Saudi government, as far as I know about them, this time Hajj may be complete, insha Allah. It may not be what we had last year, this time we may get as much as we get as a ratio."
He said, the issue of 65 years restriction may not exist this time either. We have already come to know this. If this (not barring those above 65 years from performing Hajj) happens, then it will be easy to maintain serial.
He also said that in the last year, some 10,000 people (above 65 years of age) could not go to Hajj and 7,000 of them had replaced their serial with their family members.
"We had to face tough situation while offering opportunities to pilgrims for remaining 3,000 serial," the state minister said, adding that hopefully next year they will not face any hassle in maintaining serial.