Liz Truss has won the Conservative Party leadership race, according to BBC.
Tomorrow she will become prime minister when she visits the Queen in Balmoral for an invitation to form her UK government.
- Liz Truss will be the new UK prime minister after defeating Rishi Sunak in the Tory leadership contest
- Speaking now at a conference centre in Westminster, she thanks Sunak for a "hard-fought campaign"
- You can watch live BBC News coverage now by clicking at the top of the page
- Truss will become prime minister on Tuesday after travelling to meet the Queen at Balmoral in Scotland
- The current foreign secretary will come under immediate pressure to announce a plan to tackle soaring energy costs
- She is understood to be considering a freeze on energy bills
- Her team are looking at "lots of measures", a source tells the BBC, with an announcement potentially scheduled for Thursday
- Labour argues people are "desperate" for help and need to know specifics