Saturday, 4 December, 2021
E-paper

Prince Andrew to receive Epstein-Giuffre agreement

  • Sun Online Desk
  • 7th October, 2021 03:59:03 PM
  • Print news

 

Prince Andrew has been granted access to a sealed document his lawyers believe could help end the sexual abuse case being brought by Virginia Giuffre, reports BBC.

Prince Andrew has been granted access to a sealed document his lawyers believe could help end the sexual abuse case being brought by Virginia Giuffre.

A US judge gave permission for the agreement between Ms Giuffre and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein to be shared with the prince's lawyers.

Ms Giuffre's lawyers had made the offer to release the document but believe it will be "irrelevant" to the civil case.

The Duke of York, 61, has consistently denied Ms Giuffre's allegations.

Ms Giuffre, 38, claims she was sexually assaulted by the prince at three locations including New York City.

Andrew B Brettler, who represents Prince Andrew, had argued at a previous hearing that Ms Giuffre had entered into a "settlement agreement" with Epstein that would end her current legal action,

During the first pre-trial hearing of the case last month, Prince Andrew's lawyer said the agreement "releases the duke and others from any and all potential liability".

The prince's lawyers have said in court that Ms Giuffre agreed in 2009 not to sue anyone else connected to Epstein when she settled her damages claim against the billionaire sex offender, who died in prison in 2019.

The precise wording of that deal is currently confidential - sealed by a court.