The death toll from Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip rose to 32 in three days after Palestinian officials said on Thursday six members of the same family had been killed, reports AFP.Triggered by the targeted killing of a top militant in Gaza, the two sides have been exchanging fire since Tuesday, and Israel's military said it has recorded more than 350 incoming rockets.
A Gaza Strip ceasefire agreement has been agreed and came into effect at 5:30am (3:30 GMT) on Thursday, an Egyptian source and a senior Islamic Jihad official told AFP.
The "ceasefire agreement comes as a result of Egypt's efforts" and has been endorsed by "Palestinian factions including Islamic Jihad", said the top Egyptian official. An Islamic Jihad source confirmed the agreement to AFP.
In Gaza, residents surveyed damage and mourned the dead outside a mortuary and at funerals.
The UN and Egypt have been instrumental in mediating previous ceasefires between Israel and Gaza-based militants.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Islamic Jihad must stop its rocket attacks or "absorb more and more blows".