Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is unfased by the fact that proposed tri-nation tournament is on the verge of being shelved following the ICC suspension on Zimbabwe Cricket.
The tri-series involving Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan was scheduled to be played in September in Bangladesh.With the funds frozen after the suspension imposed by the ICC, Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) has notified in a statement its inability to stage domestic competitions or fulfill the obligations of the Future Tours Programme, which required it to tour Bangladesh for a tri-series.
“After the ICC meeting, we talked with Zimbabwe CEO and board president. In this situation we talked about arranging media and other matters. They told me that we will need some time. They will be able to inform us in the next 7-10 days,” BCB CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury said on Sunday.
“As the media release came on September 19, under these circumstances we will decide what we will do and what not. As we had talked with them, we will try to communicate with them and see what happens,” he said.
“We took Zimbabwe on their request. If Tri-series is held maybe there would have been more competition we thought that. We will keep our commitment with Afghanistan,” he said.
“In our FTP commitment, it was a bilateral series with Afghanistan. It was an additional matter. Our sponsors are very careful about the situation,” he added.
ICC suspended Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) after the country’s Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC), a state-run enterprise that reports to the sports ministry, replaced the elected board with an interim committee last month.Tavengwa Mukuhlani’s election as the chairman had put the board in conflict with SRC, which had issued a directive not long back to suspend the electoral process, failing which it had to suspend the board altogether. ICC deemed it as political interference and has now directed ZC to reinstate Mukuhlani within three months.