Kyoto Animation fire: At least 33 dead after suspected arson attack | 2019-07-18

Kyoto Animation fire: At least 33 dead after suspected arson attack

BBC

18th July, 2019 05:05:13 printer

Kyoto Animation fire: At least 33 dead after suspected arson attack

At least 33 people are dead and dozens injured after a suspected arson attack at an animation studio in Kyoto, Japan, local emergency officials have said.

Local media quoted police as saying a man broke into the Kyoto Animation Co studio on Thursday morning. Police say the suspect, a 41-year-old, sprayed petrol before igniting it.

Some people still remain unaccounted for, broadcaster NHK reported.

The suspect has been detained and was taken to hospital with injuries.

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the incident was "too appalling for words" and offered condolences to those affected.

How did the incident unfold?

The fire broke out at the three-storey building at around 10:30 local time (01:35 GMT) on Thursday. Rescue operations are still ongoing.

Police also found knives at the scene, say local media.

NHK said the man had been heard saying "drop dead" as he set fire to the building.

It is unclear if the suspect had any relationship with the company.


Top