HC orders BRTC, Swajan Paribahan to pay Rajib’s family Tk 50 lakh

Sun Online Desk

20th June, 2019 02:05:59 printer

HC orders BRTC, Swajan Paribahan to pay Rajib’s family Tk 50 lakh

The High Court (HC) on Thursday issued an order to pay Tk 50 lakh to the family of Rajib Hossain, who lost his right arm to a race between two buses and later died on April last year.

The High Court bench of Justice JBM Hassan and Justice Md Khairul Alam passed the order for compensation after holding the authorities concerned of the two buses responsible for the incident.

The owners of Swajan Paribahan will have to pay Tk 25 lakh while Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation (BTRC) will pay the remaining amount to Rajib’s family within two months, the court said.

Barrister Ruhul Kuddus said the court also issued some directives to ensure the safety of passengers.

The directives include stopping picking up passengers from the middle of the road, dope tests for drivers, not allowing vehicles other than ambulance and fire service to use horns near schools, colleges, hospitals and residential areas, and implementing the Road Safety Act 2018 within six months.

On April 4 last year, the court sought explanations from the authorities concerned on why directives should not be issued to provide Tk 1 crore as compensation to Rajib.

The High Court on May 8 of the same year ordered owners of 'Sajan Paribahan' and BRTC to pay Tk 5 million each (Tk 1 crore in total) to Rajib's family.

But the order was stayed by the Appellate Division on May 22. The apex court directed the High Court to form an independent committee to fix the compensation and find out who is responsible for the accident.

On May 30, 2018, the High Court formed a three-member committee to identify those responsible for the accident and fix compensation.

Rajib, a 3rd student of Government Titumir College, lost his right hand after it got stuck between two moving buses of BRTC and Swajan Paribahan, which were trying to overtake each other in the capital’s Bangla Motor area on April 3 last year.

Later he was admitted to a city hospital and after two weeks in coma, Rajib Hossain succumbed to death on April 17.