Residents of Jurain area in the capital Dhaka demonstrated a rally to wage their 5-point demands for ensuring the supply of pure and safe water by WASA.
They also demanded WASA managing director’s resignation from the rally.The rally started at 11:00 am from Jurain area and ended at 12:00pm at RS Shopping Complex in Shanir Akhra.
Residents of Kadamtoli and Shanir Akhra also joined the really.
Mizanur Rahman, a participator of the rally, said, “We want to have impure and contaminated water from our tap nomore. We want to avoid the hassle of boiling the water for purification. WASA authorities has to ensure safe and drinkable water for its consumers,”
They also alleged that people of the city are becoming sick drinking the contaminated water, supplied by the WASA.
Earlier, on Thursday, Dhaka Water Supply and Sewerage Authority (WASA) submitted a report to the High Court confessing that water distributed by WASA to 57 areas in the city are polluted.
- Ensuing quick supply of safe water to the consumers’ houses of affected areas, where polluted and filthy water is being supplied by the WASA
- WASA authorities has to pay compensation to the people of Jurain, Shyampur, Muradpur and Dhania area, who has suffered different contaminated deceases due to drinking water, supplied by WASA
- WASA authorities has to return the previous bills that were received from the consumers for supplying polluted water.
- Through proper investigation, identify and punish the liable WASA officials, who have been supplying filthy and contaminated waters for years.
- WASA Managing Director has to apologize for his false statement, otherwise he has to resign from the post.