Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) official on Wednesday said that they have allowed Shakib Al Hasan to take part in the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) as he had recovered sufficiently from his finger injury which had forced him to miss the just concluded series against New Zealand.
BCB had earlier stated that Shakib will require medical clearance from their medical board to take part in the cash-rich Twenty20 tournament, representing Sunrisers Hyderabad.Shakib was ruled out of the three-match ODI series against New Zealand and the following two Tests after sustaining a finger injury during the Bangladesh Premier League final between Dhaka Dynamites and Comilla Victorians. Shakib copped a blow from Thisara Perera while batting and it was later revealed that he had suffered a fracture.
The home board’s stance regarding the injury management of Shakib despite being aware of his rehabilitation program which lasted two weeks since it started raised doubts whether he will eventually make it to the IPL.
BCB did not want to risk him for the last Test against New Zealand despite an unexpected opportunity came up due to the pace of his recovery only indicated that all they want is that their ace all-rounder is available fully fit in the upcoming ICC World Cup.
BCB Cricket Operation Committee Chairman cleared their air regarding Shakib’s IPL future stating that though he is not aware of the date of his departure but he will definitely join Sunrisers Hyderabad before the start of the tournament.
“I don’t know about the IPL. But he will definitely go there before the beginning of IPL,” Akram told reporters at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium on Wednesday.
“Doctor suggested that he is not ready to play competitive cricket till March 20,” he said.“Today (Yesterday), he crossed the deadline (without any further issues) and it only suggests that he is fit now,” he said.
“He is practicing for more than a week and nowadays he is also batting and bowling (in full pace),” he said adding that he was already provided with the no-objection certificate from the board.
“He has been given that (NOC) from BCB as we knew that he will play the IPL,” he added.
Akram, the former national skipper cum present BCB director, looked clearly worried about the workload of Shakib in the IPL and insisted that he needs to manage it as it will also minimise the risk of his injury.
Injury management seemed to be the mantra of this season of IPL as most national team management talked in that line so that they can have their cricketers fit in the next ICC World Cup.
“We will have a concern whether he get any further injury in the IPL again. It will be better for him if he takes less risk. And though we did not discussed about him playing fewer matches, we will discuss with him about the risks (factors before he leaves),” he said.
“We will tell him not to take any (unnecessary) risks due to his fitness as well as ask him to inform the franchisee that he is not available unless he is totally fit,” he added.
BCB medical team was expected to sit with Shakib but the all-rounder failed to come at appointed time as he returned home from the midway due to excessive traffic congestion.
BCB chief physician Debashish Chowdhury told daily that though they could not sit face to face with Shakib, his present activities clearly indicate that he is on the right track.
“We did not have any plan to have any kind of fitness test (Wednesday) neither do we need any further X-ray report regarding his injury,” said Debashish.
“We just wanted to sit so that we could listen to him and know how he is feeling about himself and whether he is feeling any kind of problem while playing any particular shot or whether he is totally comfortable while doing the fielding drills because he is the best judge in this regard,” he said.
“As far as I know he is practicing in full rhythm and from what we have seen so far he is doing that without any kind of discomfort,” he said.
“If that is the case than he is surely ready to play competitive cricket,” he concluded.