Neymar Barca bonus lawsuit postpones | 2019-03-20 | daily-sun.com

Neymar Barca bonus lawsuit postpones

Afp, Barcelona

19th March, 2019 09:54:00 printer

A Spanish court will begin hearing a lawsuit by Barcelona against Neymar over his contract extension bonus on September 27 instead of later this week as originally planned, judicial authorities said Monday.

Barcelona sued Neymar for breach of contract after the 27-year-old transferred to Paris Saint-Germain for a world record 222 million euros ($249 million) in 2017, less than a year after he signed a new five-year deal with the Catalan giants.

The club is demanding 8.5 million euros in damages and interest, and has refused to pay Neymar 26 million euros which were part of a bonus related to his contract renewal.

The 27-year-old Argentinian in turn responded by filing a lawsuit against Barcelona before FIFA over the the payment of this part of the bonus. FIFA last year shelved the lawsuit.

A Barcelona labour court had been scheduled to start hearing the catalan club’s lawsuit on Thursday but it postponed the start of the hearings until September 27, Catalonia’s Superior Court of Justice said in a statement.

While the court has given few details about the case, Spanish media had speculated that Neymar as well as Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi would attend the proceedings.


Top