Some of the worst school shootings worldwide in the past two decades after eight people -- including four children -- were killed Wednesday at a school near Sao Paulo.
2018 to 2011
- October 17, 2018, Crimea, Russia: An 18-year-old gunman shoots dead 20 people, including nine minors and injures dozens before killing himself at a technical college where he was a student.
- May 18, 2018, Texas, US: Ten people, including eight students, are killed when a 17-year-old student armed with a shotgun and a revolver opens fire just as classes are starting at his school in Santa Fe.
- February 14, 2018, Florida, US: A 19-year-old former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who was expelled for disciplinary reasons returns to the school in Parkland and opens fire killing 14 students and three adult staff.
- December 14, 2012, Connecticut, US: A 20-year-old gunman kills his mother then storms Sandy Hook elementary school where he kills 20 six- and seven-year-old children and six staff members.
- April 7, 2011, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: A 24-year-old former student opens fire in a school killing 12 people and wounding several others before taking his own life.
2009 to 1999
- March 11, 2009, Germany: A former pupil kills nine students, three teachers and three passers-by in a school shooting at Winnenden. The gunman then kills himself.
- September 23, 2008, Finland: A gunman kills 11 people including himself at a training school at Kauhajoki, Finland.
- April 16, 2007, Virginia, US: A South Korean student kills 32 people on his campus at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia before committing suicide.
- April 26, 2002, Germany: A 19-year-old former student, apparently in revenge for having been expelled, guns down 16 people including 12 teachers and two students at a school in Erfurt. He then kills himself.
- April 20, 1999, Colorado, US: Two youths aged 17 and 18 armed with guns and home-made bombs kill 12 students and a teacher at Columbine high school in Littleton before they both commit suicide.