In the world of Ayurveda, neem is a popular medicinal herb that’s been part of traditional remedies that date back almost 5000 years. Also known as Azadirachta Indica in English or ‘Neemba’ in Sanskrit, the neem tree is a really good example of how nature holds both the problem and the cure.
It’s home to more than 130 different biologically active compounds! No wonder it’s such an effective anti-viral and anti-bacterial, along with being a powerful immuno-stimulant. Murli Manohar, author of the book 'Ayurveda For All: Effective Ayurvedic Self Cure for Common and Chronic Ailments' suggests that the primary purpose of neem leaves is the treatment of vaata disorders or neuromuscular pains.
Then come the other benefits: purify the blood, prevent damage caused by free radicals in the body, remove toxins, treat insect bites and ulcers. Neem leaves have anti-bacterial properties which is why it works wonders on infections, burns and any kind of skin problems. It destroys the bacteria that causes infections, stimulates the immune system and encourages rapid healing. We tell you some benefits of neem.
Here are some excellent ways in which we can use neem leaves:
# Wound healer: Make a paste out of the neem leaves and dab it on your wounds or insect bites a few times a day till it heals.
- # Goodbye dandruff: Boil a bunch of neem leaves till the water turns green, allow it to cool. After washing your hair with shampoo, cleanse it with this water.
- # Eye Trouble: Boil some neem leaves, let the water cool completely and then use it to wash your eyes. This will help any kind of irritation, tiredness or redness.
- # Treat that zit: Grind a few neem leaves, make a paste and apply it daily till the acne dries out. The paste also helps any kind of eruptions, dark spots and chronic ulcers.
- # Ear ailments: Blend some neem leaves and add some honey to it. Use a few drops of this mix to treat any ear boils.
- # Other skin disorders: Turmeric combined with a paste of neem leaves can also be used for itching, eczema, ring worms and some mild skin diseases.
- # Boost immunity: Crush some neem leaves and take them with a glass of water to increase your immunity.