Amid concerns over the airport security after the alleged attempt to hijack a Biman aircraft, the Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (Caab) has taken measures at all airports in the country to ensure foolproof security of the passengers of both domestic and international flights.
The Caab authorities have taken necessary steps to reshape the overall security system at the airports for avoiding recurrence of such incidents.
Civil Aviation Secretary Mohibul Haque told journalist that from now on the persons responsible for security check will not be allowed to carry mobile phones while performing their duties.
The decision was taken to ensure hundred percent and flawless security at the airports. A letter in this regard has been sent to the airports, he added.
“Security persons won’t be allowed to carry mobile phone sets and we’ll implement the decision,” Mohibul Haque said.
Earlier, the security staff of the airports had been asked to keep their mobile phones switched off while performing duties but it was difficult to monitor whether the phones are actually on or off.
Now the security staff will have to deposit their mobile phones in a designated place ahead of joining their duties, said Mohibul.
In case of emergency, the authorities concerned will pick up the phones of the staff concerned and inform them.
Besides, the security staff will have to wear uniform designed and provided by the authorities.
Earlier, Caab gave an instruction that the passengers of domestic flights will have to show their photos and ID cards while travelling, he said.
The secretary said there is a rule to change staff responsible for scanning in every 20 minutes and from now it will be maintained strictly.
Besides, the authorities concerned will take necessary steps for counselling those staff involved in scanning to avoid illusion, he said.
Talking about the alleged attempt to hijack a Biman aircraft Mohibul, said after primary investigation it was found that the suspected hijacker was carrying a toy gun and there was no explosives in his possession.
Besides, negligence of duty by the staff was detected in the primary investigation, he added.
In the video footage, it was found that the five were not performing their duties with due attention while scanning luggage and frisking passengers at Shahjalal International Airport, Mohibul said.
Already, two supervisors of Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (Caab) and three Ansar men have been suspended for negligence of duty in this connection.
After talking to the crewmembers of the aircraft, it was known that the suspect was mentally imbalanced and his intention was not to harm people, said Mohibul.'
On March 6, a committee, investigating the ‘hijack bid’ of a Biman Bangladesh Airlines plane, was given five more days to complete its task. “The decision was taken considering the sensitivity and importance of the matter,” Mohibul Haque said on Wednesday.
A man boarded a Biman plane with a toy gun and tried to ‘hijack’ it on February 24 at Chattogram airport. But ‘hijacker’ Polash Ahmed was shot dead by joint forces.
The government formed a five-member committee, headed by Additional Secretary Md Mokabbir Hossain, to look into the incident the same day. The committee was given two more days on March 3 to finish investigation.
Talking about film star Ilias Kanchan’s passing security check point with a bag containing his revolver at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport here on March 5, the secretary said the authorities concerned have suspended one of its officials for negligence of duty on the following day.
Caab Chairman Air Vice Marshal M Naim Hassan informed that they have been investigating the incident and on-duty operator Fazlar Rahman was suspended over the issue.