Chawkbazar fire originated from gas cylinder blast: Minister

UNB

22nd February, 2019 08:46:36 printer

Chawkbazar fire originated from gas cylinder blast: Minister

Industries Minister Nurul Majid Mahmud Humayun on Thursday said the Chawkbazar fire that claimed the lives of at least 78 people originated from a gas cylinder blast.

 

He made the claim while talking to reporters at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) after visiting those injured in the fire incident.

 

The minister said Wahed Mansion, a four-storey building which caught the fire first, housed a hotel while there was a vehicle with gas cylinders for delivering those to households. “The explosion took place from any of them.”

 

The minister, however, said his ministry has formed a 12-member committee with Additional Industries Secretary M Mofizul Haque as its convener to find out the reason behind the inferno, assess the extent of losses and make recommendations to prevent the reoccurrence of such incident.

 

The committee will submit its report within five working days, he said, adding that the Industries Ministry will take necessary actions based on the report.


Top