At least seventy shops were gutted as a market caught fire at Alexander Bazar in Ramgati upazila of Laxmipur on Saturday.
Witnesses said that the fire originated from a short circuit at a jewelry shop around 1:00am and immediately engulfed around 70 adjoining shops.
On information, three fire fighting units from sadar upazila, Ramgati and Noakhali district rushed in and brought the fire under control after five hours of frantic efforts.
Assistant superintendent of police (circle) Mohammad Nasim Mia, and Ramgati upazila nirbahi officer (UNO) Delwar Hossain visited the scene.
However, the fire incurred an estimated loss of Tk 300 million, the affected shop owners said.