Australia anti-terror police arrest two in Sydney

24th December, 2014 09:11:10 printer

Australia anti-terror police arrest two in Sydney

Australian police said they did not believe an attack was imminent

Counter-terrorism police in Sydney have arrested two men, charging one with possession of documents designed to facilitate a terrorist attack.
The other suspect was charged with breaching a control order.
The arrests were related a series of counter-terrorism raids in September, officials said.
They come after Australia’s prime minister said there had been heightened “terror chatter” since a cafe siege in Sydney last week.
On Wednesday, Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan said the man arrested on the terrorism charge had documents that mentioned potential government targets.
“I am confident that we’ve disrupted the activity that they were planning,” he said.
But he added: “There is nothing that indicates at all that [there were] any specific targets or time frame in relation to this particular activity at all.”
After raids in September, police said they had foiled a plot to “commit violent acts” in Australia, including a plan to behead a member of the public.
Mr Phelan said the ideology of the group targeted in the raids was linked to that of militant group Islamic State, and that its members were accused of helping people travel overseas to fight with extremists.
In the Sydney siege last week, gunman Man Haron Monis, a self-styled cleric originally from Iran, took 17 people hostage in a cafe in the city centre. A 16-hour siege followed, during which two hostages and Haron Monis were killed.
After a meeting of the National Security Committee on Tuesday, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said there had been “a heightened level of chatter amongst people who we would normally think of as terrorist sympathisers”.
“We don’t know when and how an attack may come, but we do know there are people with the intent and the capability to carry out further attacks,” he said.

Top