The probe committees have found no evidence of air conditioner (AC) blast at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque in Narayanganj.
Five probe committees visited the mosque in Fatullah on Sunday. Two of the committees said that no AC exploded in the mosque.Meanwhile, four more burn victims of the mosque blast lost lives on Sunday, raising the death toll to 24. They are Zulhas Uddin Farazi, 35, son of Bacchu Farazi, school teacher Mohammad Ali, 55, son of Makbul Hossain, Shamim Hossain, 45, son of Abdul Aziz, and Abul Bashar, 32.
Mizanur Rahman, station officer of Fire Service and Civil Defence (FSCD), confirmed it to the Daily Sun.
Fire Service and Civil Defence (FSCD) Deputy Director Nur Hasan Ahmed, chief of the four-member FSCD committee, said that no AC of the mosque exploded. He said that the explosion occurred due to gas pipe leakage and electricity spark.
He said parts of the six ACs were damaged but everything inside them is okay.
The five-member probe body of CID visited the spot. Zia Uddin Uzzal, inspector and member of the committee, echoed the same sentiment.
He also said the ACs did not explode.The district administration, which formed a five-member committee, also visited the mosque blast spot and collected evidence in the morning.
The five-member committee, formed by Titas, visited the spot and started investigation, said Mofizul Islam, deputy general manger of Narayanganj Titas.
Besides, a four-member committee, which was formed by DPDC on Sunday with Executive Engineer Golam Morshed as the chief, visited the occurrence place.
The tragic incident occurred at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque on Friday when many people were offering Isha prayers, leaving at least 37 people severely burnt.
After the death of minor son Jubayer, 7, ill-fated father Zulhas succumbed to his injuries around 9:15am on Sunday, leaving his wife Rahima Khatun in utter despair, said the fire service officer Mizan.
Dr Samanta Lal Sen, chief coordinator of Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery, told journalists at noon that some 12 victims were undergoing treatment at the institute. Of them, five were kept at ICU as their condition was very critical, but the rest were not out of danger.
The injured persons are Imran, 30, Mamun, 23, Amzad, 37, Abdus Sattar, 40, Abdul Aziz, 40, Rifat, 18, Nazrul Islam, 50, Mohammad Kenan, 24, Monir Farazi, 30, Sheikh Farid, 21, and Mohammad Farid, 55.
Of them, Mohammad Farid, Monir, Kenan, Aziz and Amzad are at ICU.
Like Friday night and Saturday, the family members and relatives of the injured victims gathered at the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery with a hope that their dear and near ones would recover from burn injury.
Rokon Mia, brother-in-law of serious burn victim Abdus Sattar, 40, told the Daily Sun that the condition of his relative was not good.
He cannot know anybody as most part of his body got burnt, he said.
Nazrul Islam, son of Abdur Razzaque, is now struggling for life at the institute. His daughter-in-law Rojina told the Daily Sun that the condition of her father-in-law was critical, but he could speak.
On Saturday night, a case was filed in connection with the explosion at the mosque at Pachim Talla in Fatullah.
Humayun Kabir, sub-inspector (SI) of Fatullah Model Police Station, filed the case with the police station against unidentified persons, alleging negligence that resulted in the explosion and casualties.
Confirming the news, Aslam Hossain, officer-in-charge (OC) of the police station, said the horrific blast at the mosque might have happened due to negligence.
“No one was named in the case, but the persons, who will be found responsible over the incident through investigation, will be brought to book,” he said.
Meanwhile, a writ petition was filed with the High Court (HC) seeking Tk five million for each victim’s family who lost their lives and injured in the explosion.
Some residents of Paschim Talla of Fatullah said that after explosion in the mosque, the Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Company stopped gas supply in the area, forcing about 60,000 residents to cook their food in alternative ways.