Hundreds take to HK streets, weekend protests planned

12 October, 2019 12:00 AM printer

Hundreds take to HK streets, weekend protests planned

People attend a flash mob rally to show support for pro-democracy protesters in the Central district in Hong Kong on Friday. Semi-autonomous Hong Kong has been battered by four months of increasingly violent pro-democracy protests sparked by opposition to a now-scrapped bill allowing extraditions to China. —AFP PHOTO

HONG KONG: Hundreds of mask-wearing pro-democracy protesters marched through Hong Kong’s central business district at lunchtime on Friday, occupying a main thoroughfare and disrupting traffic as the city braced for another weekend of turmoil, reports Reuters.

Chanting calls for their core demands and denouncing what they see as police brutality, the crowd peacefully occupied streets in the financial district, home to some of the world’s most expensive real estate, before dispersing.

Hong Kong’s metro operator had opened all stations in the morning for the first time in a week ahead of another round of anti-government protests, while the city’s legislature began its first session since protesters stormed the building in July.

Pro-establishment and democratic lawmakers shouted at each other before the beginning of the session, underscoring the tension and divisions in Hong Kong after four months of often violent pro-democracy protests.

Some lawmakers wore black masks as they sat in the chamber, while others carried placards reading: “Police brutality still exists, how can we have a meeting?”

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam banned the wearing of face masks a week ago, invoking colonial-era emergency powers.

The protests have plunged the city, an Asian financial hub, into its worst crisis since it returned from British to Chinese rule in 1997, posing the biggest popular challenge to Chinese President Xi Jinping since he came to power in 2012.

What began as opposition to a now-withdrawn extradition bill has evolved into a pro-democracy movement fanned by fears that China is stifling Hong Kong’s freedoms, which were guaranteed under a “one country, two systems” formula introduced with the 1997 handover.

China denies the accusations and says foreign countries, including Britain and the United States, are fomenting unrest.

Metro operator MTR Corp, whose network carries about 5 million passengers a day, said all lines would shut at 10 p.m. (1400 GMT) on Friday, more than 2 hours earlier than usual so more repairs could be carried out after protesters torched or trashed stations across the city last weekend.

Many stores and businesses have had to shut early due to metro closures, putting another burden on the city’s faltering economy as it faces its first recession in a decade.

Protesters have targeted the MTR because it has been blamed for closing stations at the government’s behest to contain demonstrations.

The normally efficient system shut down completely last Friday following arson attacks and has operated only partially since then.

Lam introduced the emergency laws, including a ban on face masks, in an effort to quell unrest. But the mask ban sparked some of the worst violence since protests started, with many residents fearing the emergency laws may be expanded, further eroding civil liberties.

The government said on Thursday that it would not bring in any other emergency measures.

Hong Kong has been relatively calm for a few days after a street march by tens of thousands of people last Sunday spiraled into a night of violent clashes between police and protesters.

Several demonstrations are planned across the city on Friday and through the weekend.

Several major conferences and other events have been called off because of the protests, with the latest being an annual swimming race in the city’s famed harbor.

Property developer New World Development Company Limited (0017.HK) said it was cancelling the Oct. 27 competition because of the “social situation”.


Top