S Arabia-led raids kill 20 civilians in Yemen port | 2016-09-23 | daily-sun.com

S Arabia-led raids kill 20 civilians in Yemen port

23 September, 2016 12:00 AM printer

S Arabia-led raids kill 20 civilians in Yemen port

A general view shows on Thursday buildings destroyed during Saudi-led air strikes in the rebel-held Yemeni port city of Hodeida the previous day. - AFP PHOTO

ADEN: Saudi-led coalition air strikes have killed 20 civilians in a rebel-held port city in Yemen, a government official said in a rare admission of a possible “error” by the alliance, reports AFP.
The strikes came as Riyadh faces mounting international scrutiny over civilian casualties in its 18-month campaign against rebels in Yemen.
The raids hit the Suq al-Hunod district in the Red Sea port of Hodeida Wednesday night, the official in the government of Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi told AFP.
The official said the residential neighbourhood was “probably hit in error.” US officials—whose country supplies bombs dropped by the coalition—have regularly urged their Middle East ally to avoid harming non-combatants.
The rebel administration in the capital Sanaa also reported the Hodeida strikes, saying there were civilian casualties.
The Huthi rebels had been celebrating the second anniversary of their seizure of Yemen’s capital city.
Khaled Suhail, a doctor at Hodeida’s Al-Thawra Hospital, said his facility received 12 dead and 30 wounded from the strikes.


Top