A devastating fire broke out at a building in Old Dhaka’s Chawkbazar, leaving scores of people injured.
The four-storey building behind the Shahi Mosque at Churihatta caught fire around 10:40pm on Wednesday, witnesses said.Around 30 people injured in the incident were admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital, DMCH police camp in-charge Bachchu Mia told an online newspaper.
Twelve of them were burnt while the others sustained other forms of injury including cuts from broken glasses.
Some broke their bones after jumping off the building, according to Bachchu.
Firefighters were trying to douse the flames till filing the report at 1:30am.
Residents of the neighbourhood said an electric transformer next to the building exploded after the fire had started.
The fire originated from an electrical short circuit, Mohammad Ibrahim Khan, said a deputy commissioner at Dhaka Metropolitan Police.The ground floor of the building housed some shops and the first floor was being used as a warehouse while some families lived on the other floors, a resident of the area said.