Eight members of a family were killed in a fire originated from an electric short circuit at a residence in Aramnagar of Joypurhat town on Wednesday night.
The deceased were identified as Abdul Momin, 38, his mother Momena Begum, 62, his father Dulal Hossain, 71, Brishti, 14, daughter of Momena, Momin’s two daughters –Hashi, 12, and Khushi, 12, and Parina, 34, wife of Momin and her six-year-old son Nur.Joypurhat police superintendent Md Rashidul Hassan said all the deceased were the members of the same family.
Sirajul Islam, inspector of Joypurhat Fire service and Civil Defence, said the fire originated from an electric short-circuit at around 9:00 pm at the house of Abdul Momin, a poultry trader, and it then spread rapidly.
Three members of the family— Abdul Momin, 38, his mother Momena Begum, 62, Brishti, 14, daughter of Momena, were burned to death and five others sustained burn injuries.
On information, a fire-fighting unit rushed to the spot and put out the fire.
The injured – Dulal, Hashi, Khushi and Parina and Nur – were taken to Joypurhat Modern District Hospital.
Saiful Islam, physician of Joypurhat Modern District Hospital, said five people were taken to the hospital’s emergency unit at night. As much as 70-75 per cent of their bodies were burned.“Later, we referred them to Dhaka Medical College
Hospital burn unit,” he added.
All the victims died on the way to Dhaka Medical College Hospital around 5:30 am, said Sirajul Islam, officer-in-charge of Joypurhat Sadar Police Station.