Philippine news website’s licence revoked after Duterte threat | 2018-01-16 | daily-sun.com

Philippine news website’s licence revoked after Duterte threat

    16 January, 2018 12:00 AM printer

Philippine news website’s licence revoked after Duterte threat

Rodrigo Duterte

MANILA:  The Philippine government has revoked the operating licence of leading news website Rappler, officials said Monday in a ruling denounced by President Rodrigo Duterte’s critics as the latest blow to press freedom, reports AFP.

Rappler, set up in 2012, is among a clutch of Philippine news organisations that have sparred with Duterte over their critical coverage of his brutal drugs war.

But the government rejected allegations that the ruling was an attack on press freedom, with Duterte’s spokesman saying Rappler and Rappler Holdings Corp had violated a provision in the country’s constitution restricting media ownership to Filipinos.

At his state of the nation address to Congress last year Duterte vowed to expose Rappler’s “American ownership”.

“The issue at hand is the compliance of 100 percent Filipino ownership and management of mass media. It is not about infringement on the freedom of the press,” Duterte spokesman Harry Roque said in a statement Monday. “No one is above the law. Rappler has to comply,” Roque added.

Rappler’s acting managing editor Chay Hofilena told AFP the company would file a court appeal against the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) ruling, which is due to take effect in 15 days. “This is pure and simple harassment, the seeming coup de grace to the relentless and malicious attacks against us since 2016,” the website said in a statement.

“We will continue bringing you the news, holding the powerful to account for their actions and decisions, calling attention to government lapses that further disempower the disadvantaged,” it said.


Top