SpaceX will not send tourists around the Moon this year as previously announced, and will delay the project until the middle of next year, US media reported on Monday, reports AFP.
“A new timetable for the flight—now postponed until at least mid-2019 and likely longer—hasn’t been released” by the California-based company, said the report in The Wall Street Journal.The reason for the delay is unclear. But it is a “sign that technical and production challenges are disrupting founder Elon Musk’s plans for human exploration of the solar system,” said the report.
“SpaceX also is confronting industry doubts about market demand for its Falcon Heavy rocket,” it said.
The tourists would ride aboard a Dragon capsule, hoisted into space on SpaceX’s most powerful rocket to date, the Falcon Heavy, which made its first test flight only four months ago.