Yemeni newspaper staff abducted by gunmen | 2018-03-28 | daily-sun.com

Yemeni newspaper staff abducted by gunmen

    27th March, 2018 11:13:19 printer

ADEN: Gunmen in Yemen’s second city Aden have abducted at least seven staff of a newspaper group that was already hit by an arson attack earlier this month, a media watchdog said, reports AFP.

The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) said the Friday kidnappings from the group’s headquarters in the southern city, which is the seat of the troubled Saudi-backed government, showed there was nowhere in Yemen where journalists could feel safe.

Unidentified armed men stormed the offices of the Al-Shomou Foundation, which publishes a daily and a weekly newspaper, and kidnapped the staff, the CPJ said.

The foundation is considered close to the Muslim Brotherhood.

“Journalists in Yemen would appear to be at risk everywhere—on the street, in their homes and their places of work,” its deputy executive director, Robert Mahoney, said in a statement on Monday.

“The authorities must do everything to find those who have been kidnapped and return them safely to their families.”

Sources at the group’s daily, Akhbar al-Youm, said they believed the attack was “politically motivated”.

Much of Aden has been in the hands of southern separatists supported by the United Arab Emirates since a deadly split in loyalist ranks in January.

.

Top