Cold wave slightly weakens | 2018-01-16 |

Cold wave slightly weakens

Staff Correspondent     16th January, 2018 01:30:12 printer

Though the fury of the biting cold has reduced slightly, a mild cold wave is still sweeping across the country.

Another spell of mild to moderate cold wave may hit the country in the last week of January, the met office said.

A mild cold wave is sweeping over Khulna, Rangpur and Rajshahi divisions and the regions of Tangail and Faridpur districts and it may continue, the met office added.

Dense fog continued to disrupt communications  across the country on Monday, affecting normal life severely.

The current spell of mild cold wave is likely to continue over some places in the country throughout the month of January, said Shahinul Islam, a meteorologist of Bangladesh Meteorological Department.

The current spell of the cold wave may turn into a mild-to-moderate one in the last week of this month, he added. Moderate to thick fog may occur over the country during midnight to tomorrow morning and it may continue at some places up to noon, forecast BMD on Monday.

The minimum temperature of the country was recorded at Rajarhat in Rangpur division at 7.8 degrees Celsius on Monday, and maximum temperature at 25.1 degrees Celsius in Sylhet division on Sunday.

Meanwhile, thick fog disrupted flight operations at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport and ferry services on Paturia-Daulatdia and Shimulia-Khathalbari routes on Monday, causing sufferings to thousands of passengers. Rezaul Karim, public relations officer at Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB), said the flight operations at the airport were suspended at 5:50am due to poor runway visibility caused by dense fog and resumed at 10:20am after the disappearance of fog.

Several domestic flights, including that of Biman Bangladesh Airlines, could not take off and one flight from Singapore was diverted to Chittagong airport during the period, Karim said, adding that a Chittagong-bound flight of Biman ‘BG011’ left the airport around 10:20am.

Besides, the ferry services were disrupted for seven hours from 3:30am due to poor visibility caused by thick fog on Paturia-Daulatdia route, said Mohiuddin Russell, manager (Commercial) of Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Corporation (BIWTC) at Aricha.

Four ferries got stranded in the middle of the river, said the official, adding that around 500 vehicles, including buses and trucks, were waiting in queues on both sides of the river to cross it.

The ferry services resumed around 10:30am after the fog disappeared, he said.

Ferry services on Shimulia-Kathalbari river route resumed on Monday morning after eight hours of disruption caused by dense fog, according to our Munshiganj correspondent.

Thousands of passengers suffered due to delay of vehicles on both the sides of the Shimulia-Kathalbari and Paturia-Daulatdia routes, Abu Yusuf, a Dhaka-bound passenger, said.

Around two-kilometre long traffic congestion was seen from the Zero point of Paturia ferry ghat till 4:00pm on Monday.

 “We had to wait for a ferry over three hours,” said the bus driver of Subarna Express.

Shah Newaz Khaled, assistant general manager of Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Corporation (BIWTC) at Shimulia station, said the authorities kept the ferry services suspended on the route from 2:00am to 10:00am due to blurred visibility caused by thick fog.

Six ferries got stranded in the mid-river, causing immense sufferings to the passengers amid severe cold weather.