BEIRUT: Renewed Syrian army bombardment of rebel-held Eastern Ghouta outside Damascus on Monday killed 18 people, including two children, despite a ceasefire deal for the region, a monitor said, reports AFP.
Eastern Ghouta, one of the last remaining opposition strongholds in Syria, is among four so-called “de-escalation zones” set up earlier this year under a deal agreed by regime allies Russia and Iran, and rebel supporter Turkey.
But despite the deal, violence has spiralled in the area in recent days.
On Monday, air strikes and artillery fire on several parts of Eastern Ghouta killed at least 18 civilians, the Britain-based monitor Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
It said at least 45 others had been wounded, and the death toll could rise because a number of the injured were in a serious condition. At a field clinic in the city of Douma, which has regularly come under government attack, medics worked with the limited supplies available to them to treat waves of arriving injured.