Former AC Milan and Real Madrid striker Robinho has been sentenced to nine years in prison in Italy after he was convicted of gang rape, according to local media reports Thursday.
The alleged incident occurred in January 2013, when the Brazilian was playing for Milan in Serie A.
He was found guilty in absentia by an Italian court for raping a 22-year-old Albanian woman.
Five of the player’s friends were accused of the same crime. One of the accused was also given a nine-year prison sentence while the trial of the four others has been suspended because they are on the run.
According to Milan daily Corriere della Sera, Robinho and his acquaintances made the young woman drink “to the point of making her unconscious and unable to resist”.
They were then said to have engaged in “sexual intercourse multiple times in a row” with her.
The court in Milan also ordered those found guilty to pay the victim 60,000 euros ($71,000).
Robinho, who is currently playing for Atletico Mineiro in Brazil, posted messages on his Instagram and Facebook profiles protesting his innocence and his lawyer said an appeal against the verdict had been launched.