May 13 is actor Sunny Leone’s birthday and here are 12 facts about her that you must know. Born Karenjit Kaur Vohra to a Sikh family in Ontario, Canada, Sunny made her foray into Bollywood in 2012 with filmmaker Pooja Bhatt’s Jism 2. Before this, she was a participant on a reality television show in 2012.
1. She was the Penthouse Pet of the Month in March 2001 and Penthouse Pet of the Year in 2003.
2. She is a foodie by nature. Her all-time favourite dish is steamed lime fish with sliced chillies. She loves Delhi’s street food and gol-gappas and dahi chaat are her favourites. She cheats on her diet with chocolates and parathas.
3. She made it to BBC’s 100 Most Influential Women list in the year 2016. With her on this list were four other Indian women, including a 105-year old environmentalist. At the time, she had said: “It’s your right as a woman to follow your dreams.”
4. She contributes to charities for cancer and is also an animal-rights supporter.
5. She was studying to be a nurse and simultaneously worked as an exotic dancer by the name of Sunny. She took up modelling on a friend’s suggestion that led her to Penthouse magazine. The magazine’s founder suggested she add Leone to her name.
6. She became the first Indian celebrity to launch her own mobile app in the year 2016.
7. She has revealed that she is shy and introvert by nature and only learned to open up during the promotions of her film Raees in 2016.
8. Sunny has expressed her desire to work with actor Aamir Khan and has also hired his acting coach to help her hone her skills.
9. She got married to filmmaker Daniel Weber in a Sikh ceremony on January 20, 2009. He calls her ‘baby’ and she calls him ‘booballa’ and ‘dolly’.
10. Toronto-based filmmaker Dilip Mehta made a documentary on her that premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2016. Sunny doesn’t want this documentary to release in India.
11. She has to deal with internet trolls every day, and her mantra to tackle this is by blocking them.
12. She follows all Bollywood stars on social media and among the actors she likes are Madhuri Dixit, Aamir Khan, Sonam Kapoor and Ranveer Singh, who she feels is “crazy and fun.”